What is it?
This is the Cisco WS-X6704-10GE.
It is one of the gigabit ethernet modules available for the the Catalyst 6500 Series10 and is compatible with the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Supervisor Engine 720.
This module (and its big brothers the WS-X6708-10G-3C and WS-X6708-10G-3CXL) are for pluggable optics to support distances up to:
- 80km over single-mode fiber
- 300m over multimode fiber
- 15m over copper
Why do I need it?
Because it offers 32 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports in a single Catalyst 6500 chassis.
The WS-X6708-10G-3C will max you out at 64 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports, but it's also a higher price point. For some, that port density is required.
If that is not the case, the WS-X6704-10GE becomes the cost-effective solution.
Both modules use hot-swap Xenpak optics and are IEEE 802.3ae standards-compliant.
How much does it cost?
As of this writing, pricing is trending up, so contact us now to get a quote and freeze the price.
What’s the difference between this and the WS-X6708-10G-3C?
The primary difference is the number of ports.
WS-X6704-10G = 4 Ports
WS-X6708-10G-3C = 8 ports
The 6708 also has 200 MB per port (for Port Buffers) compared to 16 MB and 1 GB onboard memory compared to the base 256 MB for the 6704.
Do you have specs?
- 4 Ports
- XENPAk Optics
- 40 Gbps or 80 Gbps for full duplex switch fabric connection
- Forwarding engine: Centralized forwarding is the default. Optional is the distributed forwarding with DFC3A, DFC3B, or DFC3BXL
- 16 MB per port port buffers
- Up to 9216 bytes Jumbo frame support for bridged and routed packets
- If you're using a Catalyst 6513 or Cisco 7613 chassis, then these can only occupy slots 9 through 13.
- If you're using a Catalyst 6503-E, 6504-E, 6506, 6506-E, 6509, 6509-E, 6509-NEB-A, Cisco 7604, 7607 or 7609 chassis, then these can occupy any slot.
- Not compatible with Catalyst 6503 non-E Series chassis
Maximum Midrange offers free FedEx ground shipping on these units anywhere in the Continental US