IBM 911x-5887 – EXP24S SFF Gen2-bay Drawer Upgrade
Running out of storage on your IBM Power System?
An easy upgrade path to increase capacity is to add the IBM 5887 disk drive expansion unit.
Capacity per drive can range from 300gb to 900Gb spinning drives and either 177gb or 387gb SSD.
Configured many different ways, one of our most popular disk expansion projects is as follows.
(Please note pricing can fluctuate with market conditions.)
IBM 5887 EXP24S SFF Gen2-Bay Drawer – $925 each
Fully populated with IBM 1925 300Gb 10k Gen2 SAS hard drives for an AIX environment – $225 each
In order to attach it to the server it would need a PCIe card –
IBM 5278 PCIE-LP 2-x4 port SAS adapter / 3Gbps – $295 each
And finally, cabling can vary depending on the server, but most often these are required:
IBM 3692 – IBM SAS Cable (YP) Adapter to 3m – $75 each
With this simple project you can significantly increase your raw storage capacity by approximately 7TB for a very reasonable price in the IBM enterprise market.
For full drive compatibility, required hardware or the most recent pricing and lead times (if any) please contact us in whatever way is easiest for you:
– It is typically possible to install the 5877 with the system running if you are using a HMC, SDMC or if you have one partition and running the IBM i OS.
– If it is required to move an expansion unit, the system must be powered down even if running a HMC, SDMC.
Additional Hardware Info:
EXP24S SFF Gen2-bay Drawer (#5887): The EXP24S is a high-density, high-performance SFF drive drawer, holding up to 24 SAS drives in 2U of 19-inch rack space.
The EXP24S can also be ordered in mode 1, 2, or 4, providing additional configuration flexibility.
- High Density and High-performing SFF drive drawer
- Holds up to 24 2.5 inch SAS drives in 2U of 19-inch rack space
- Flexible configurations with Mode 1, 2 and 4
- Mode 1 – One set of 24 bays, Mode 2 – Two sets of 24, Mode 4 – Four sets of six
- 6 Gb SAS capability
- Contact Maximum Midrange for supported SFF SAS Hard Disk Drives options